[AccessD] Need to access EDI Audit Trail (Flat File) and Not Allow Updates

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Thu Nov 29 12:35:09 CST 2012

All,

We have an EDI application that has been built with Access 2007.  It
works nicely.

Recently there has been a request to add a new feature to the system
that will allow the users to see the generated EDI audit trail file.
This is a flat file.

I have added a button to the main form to open the Audit Trail file with
notepad.  This works fine, except that now there is a possibility that
the users could accidentally change the data in this file.

I don't think that I can set security to overcome this issue, because
the EDI Application adds records to this Audit Trail file (behind the
scenes).

I thought that another possible solution would be to treat the Audit
Trail file as Linked Table in Access.

The catch is that the fields in the records are not delimited and the
records can be over 256 bytes.

Is there a way to tell Access to treat the records as one big memo
field?

Maybe there is another way to handle this situation.

Thanks,
Brad