[AccessD] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Count of objects and properties

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Nov 30 15:47:31 CST 2012

LOL none except to allow us to understand the complexity of the application.

I took a Microsoft created / generated Access test.  My guess is that it was supposed to measure
knowledge gained from some cert course (which I haven't taken).  It was quite a difficult test (I
thought) and many of the questions were "given scenario xyz what property of what object..." with a
list of properties, or even "what value would you place in the property"...

As it happens I scored at the 99th percentile on the "global population" but only 83 on the "company
population" whatever those numbers mean.

It just got me thinking about the fact that there are probably thousands or perhaps tens of
thousands of properties.  I certainly only use a few percentage of them on a regular enough basis to
have them at my finger tips.

Luckily it was a multiple choice test so you usually end up with 2 questions very similar and one of
those correct.

The following is the resulting verbiage of my results.

Test: Microsoft Access 2003 (adaptive)

Score: 3.78
Proficiency Level: Advanced (3.51 - 4.50)

The candidate has mastered the basic concepts of Microsoft Access 2003 (Data Manipulation, Database
Concepts, Reports & Data Output) and intermediate Microsoft Access 2003 concepts (Database Planning
& Design, Automation and Integration, User Interface & Application Refinement). The candidate is
likely proficient with more advanced Microsoft Access 2003 concepts such as:

·  Forms & Data Input
·  VBA
·  Multi-User Issues

At the Advanced level, the candidate will be capable of working on projects involving Microsoft
Access 2003 and will be capable of mentoring others on most projects in this area.

 >>>The candidate is likely proficient with more advanced Microsoft Access 2003 concepts

Ya think?

It just seems difficult to generate a short test (it was only about 20 questions or so, I didn't
count) to really accurately gauge someone's knowledge given how many objects and properties there
are.  And so the question, how many are there?  And if I know nothing about some area (user security
is an area I don't do much in) what does that indicate in the overall scheme of things?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it