[AccessD] Technology "Revolutions"

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:23:37 CDT 2012

The pcs I use for work are over 10 years old (albeit upgraded by my own
hands). I don't have a tablet. My cellphones are TracFones and they're eight
years old. I still read real books. My needs are simple. :) If I were doing
what most of you were doing, I couldn't operate like this, but it works for
me. One of the kids at the wildlife center where I volunteer calls my
TracFone a "museum piece!" :) But, I pay about $10 a month and it does what
I need. It doesn't even take bad pictures. :)

I love that technology is generating jobs and all this great innovation
though, so don't get me wrong. I just don't have a need right now. Most of
the settings on my digital camera are still unexplored. :) The touch screens
that my grandchildren are using on their TOYS totally blow me away -- still.
I mean, this is Star Trek stuff and we have it right now. But, my grandkids
take it for granted -- it IS their world, not something new and sci fi --
they have it. A couple of the kids at the center have the newer phones that
share files using the scan feature -- they just line up and share -- totally
messes with my brain. :) What... no connection string that's missing an
arcane argument?????

I don't really care much who's producing it as long as they all keep shoving
one another back to their drawing boards. :) Seriously... 20 years ago, we
were barely using the Internet and my phone was still connected to the wall!
Now we've got data streaming into hand held phones that respond to little
finger taps and share files just by touching -- I'm dizzy, I need to go
rest. :)

Susan H.