[AccessD] How does SQL Server do updates

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Oct 10 12:05:42 CDT 2012

<<No other way to make it all work >>

  That is not the case.  Rollbacks within a RDBMS can be done in any number
of ways, one of which is to use a run unit journal file (a log of the
changes).  I can easily record changes as they are made to a file and update
data in place as I am doing so.

 If a rollback needs to occur, I can read the log file backwards and restore
the data.  Once a transaction is committed, some save that data to a after
image journal, which makes roll forwards possible from a full backup.  In
some systems, the function of a run unit journal and the after image data is
stored and managed in the same file, but the functionality is still there.

Jim.