[AccessD] Arvixe web hosting - was Free Cloud based MySQL

Robert Stewart rls at WeBeDb.com
Fri Oct 26 14:48:36 CDT 2012

See below...

At 01:50 PM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:21:13 -0400
>From: jwcolby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com>
>To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
>         <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
>Subject: [AccessD] Arvixe web hosting - was Free Cloud based MySQL
>
>Robert,
>
>I have databases that I am managing on my own servers using
>Hamachi.  I would like to get rid of
>this and do it out on the internet.  What I need to know from you is
>how do you manage more than one
>database?  Using Hamachi I hit an IP address which is literally a
>number, with that ,1433 at the end.

My "admin" account give me access to all of the databases I create.
I create user account and give them specific access to specific databases.

>On my server I have multiple databases, each of which have users set
>up by me, with passwords etc
>and inside of SQL Server those users can "see" only a single
>database.  Thus if I come in as UserXYZ
>I can get at DatabaseXYZ and if I come in as UserABC I can only get
>at DatabaseABC.

In my case, that would only happen if you connected to the server as
a user and not as the admin.

>I assume that If I go with this company the same methodology is
>going to work except that the IP
>will now be ColbyConsulting.com,1433?  BTW it is possible to change
>that default port to another
>port number to help defend against probing of that port.  I am not
>sure how much it helps.

no, it is still sql.holly.arvixe.com,1433.  I cannot use WeBeDb.com,1433.

>What CMS do you use for the web side of things?

None.  I do my pages with asp.net and am moving everything to Silverlight.
And, before everyone gets started, I know it is supposed to be dying,
but I don't care.
It gives a much better UI that ASP.Net can and I am not going to
learn  JavaScript.
Until the browsers completely stop supporting it, I will use
it.  Maybe by then, they will
realize the mistake JavaScript is and killing Silverlight is.

>John W. Colby
>Colby Consulting
>
>Reality is what refuses to go away
>when you do not believe in it
>
>On 9/28/2012 1:13 PM, Robert Stewart wrote:
> > I use Arvixe for hosting.  I can admin it through SSMS (SQL Server.
> > I can also access it with MS Access if I add ,1433 to the end of
> > the ODBC server name.
> >
> > 1433 is the normal port for SQL Server.
> >
> > While it is not free, It is only about 200 for 2 years.

Robert L. Stewart

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good
programmers write code that humans can understand. --Martin Fowler

www.WeBeDb.com
www.DBGUIDesign.com
www.RLStewartPhotography.com