[AccessD] [SPAM] Re: The iPad is soooo cool (uhhh ok.)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 30 09:04:10 CDT 2012

If I didn't have time for iHumor I would go iCrazy.

I am currently working on a system to build a data dictionary table and populate it for a given
database.  Then I need to select which columns (fields) to count the data items in - a groupby /
count query on all selected fields.

The databases I use tend to have a ton of columns (277 fields in the one I am working on now), each
column tends to have a 1/0, T/F or a limited range of codes 1-9 and a-z.  Unfortunately other
columns have names, zips, address fields etc so I can't do a groupby on those fields or I will get
tens of millions of counts - not the intention.

So I build a data dictionary table which reads out the standard stuff -

	[SchemaName]
       ,[TableName]
       ,[ColumnId]
       ,[ColumnName]
       ,[DataType]
       ,[CharacterMaximumLength]
       ,[ColumnDescription]
       ,[ColumnDefault]
       ,[IsNullable]

plus a couple of extra fields of my own [PerformCount] and (denormalized) [CountInfo].

I then populate that table, unselect the fields with things like names / addresses, then run a
groupby/count on the remaining fields, updating the [CountInfo] with the resulting data.  Push it
out to a spreadsheet and send to the customer.

Keeps me busy.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away