[AccessD] OT: US Zip codes

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 08:33:45 CDT 2012

Michael,

 Thanks for that.

 Raises a lot of issues moving forward too...many companies base sales tax
on zip or zip+4. Zip+4 is a lot more accurate, but it's a royal pain to
verify street addresses, especially on web orders, so many (including my
client) only base sales tax on zip.

 The problem with that however is there can be a mis-match between taxing
jurisdictions and postal zones.  In the past, it wasn't enough to worry
about and every state I'm aware of accepted sales tax based on zip.  With
post offices closing down however, that mis-match will only get larger.

Jim.