[AccessD] HTML5 mobile-friendly web sites vs. native

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 20 23:49:05 CDT 2012

Yes and no, Mark.

There are risks but they can be more of a calculated risk. The computer
market is in the process of splitting. A huge portion of the market is
moving to Web based applications but there is still going to be a need for
PCs. It is just no longer true that your best course of action are
necessarily PCs anymore.

I personally think that a programmer has to be versed in a lot of
disciplines now. No longer just PC coding but web coding and web server
setup...and that webserver setup is going to be as much, if more Linux/Unix
based, than Windows based. Cloud mostly means just a remote server that you
don't own. The big push right now is all web but that will level off in a
few years. I think the market will end up being 40 to 60 split...60 being
web (split between tablet and Smartphone).

This makes the web your best bet as the results will be used on every type
of computer.

Jim