[AccessD] Reading Data from Excel into Access Where the Excel Worksheet Name Changes

Paul Hartland paul.hartland at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 2 00:29:03 CDT 2013

Brad,

Off the top of my head I can think of two ways I have done something in the
past.

  1.  Make a copy of the Excel workbook and change the name of the specific
worksheet to the name hardcoded in the VBA
  2.  We used to have an Excel sheet from which we had to import data, the
sheet would always be in the same position but the sheet name would change,
so I would use code similar the the one below:

Function GetSheetNames()
    Dim xlsApp As Excel.Application
    Dim xlsWbk As Excel.Workbook
    Dim xlsSht As Excel.Worksheet

    Dim strFile As String
    Dim strSheet As String

    strFile = "YourExcelFileName.xls"

    Set xlsApp = New Excel.Application
    Set xlsWbk = xlsApp.Workbooks.Open(strFile)

    Set xlsSht = xlsWbk.Worksheets(2) ' or whatever position the sheet is
usually in
    strSheet = xlsSht.Name

    xlsWbk.Close
    Set xlsWbk = Nothing
    xlsApp.Quit
    Set xlsApp = Nothing

    ' Code here to use the actual sheet name

End Function

Paul