[AccessD] Not In List Not the Right Solution

Tony Septav TSeptav at Uniserve.com
Tue Apr 9 12:23:56 CDT 2013

Hey Rocky
I do not understand your problem. From someone so attuned to Access. Do you
not trap for Not In List, then popup a form, asking the client to verify
they want to add the new entry to the list?  Then in VBA you add the new
entry to the lookup table, requery the list and then set focus to the new
entry???

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: April-09-13 11:24 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Not In List Not the Right Solution

Dear List:

I have a request from a user that when they try to find a name in a combo
box if the name is not there, that the program go to add a new record and
place the data entered in the combo box in the last name field and let them
finish entering the new data.

I tried the NotInList event until I realized this is to add entries to the
combo box.  But I can't seem to get it to behave properly - it goes into a
loop displaying my "add then new guy now?" not in list message.

I think Not In List is not the best way to do this, but don't know how else.

Any ideas?

MTIA

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software