[AccessD] Access 2012 Development

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 17:05:18 CDT 2013

XBasic is truly object-oriented (i.e. inheritance + polymorphism) and uses
a very consistent dot syntax. Granted, it's quite different than VBA, but a
whole lot more powerful. I'd say that the only fair comparison is to Visual
Studio, and given the choice between a free copy of each, I'd take Alpha
Anywhere anyday, as it were. Write an app once, connect it to any ODBC
database you wish, or even to an Access MDB, and run it anywhere -- smart
phone, tablet, or web on a desktop/laptop, with no changes to the code.

>From the POV of an Access developer is how disconcerting it can feel
initially how little code you have to write. There are dozens of wizards
and "genies", which vaguely relate to the primitive Access wizards and the
property sheets of forms and controls. Alpha Anywhere exposes many more
events for these controls (that's a good thing). The names of the events
are occasionally the same, but often are synonyms. I'm at work on producing
a map between Access events at the application, form and control levels,
and their AA equivalents, as my small "Pay It Forward" contribution to the
community.

Finally, AA provides a wealth of videos that show you, step by step, how to
accomplish various tasks and build apps. Download the trial, run through
the samples (some of them are for web-apps and some for desktop apps, and
one or two illustrate an introduction to XBasic code).

Access developers feeling daunted by the complexity of doing a web app
using whatever tools MS provides need to download an AA trial and devote a
weekend to walking through the samples. A few of them are a tad lame, but
most of them demonstrate the ease of designing and running an app.

Arthur

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Charlotte Foust <charlotte.foust at gmail.com

Arthur