[AccessD] Future of Windows XP

John Serrano john.k.serrano at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 08:04:46 CDT 2013

Brian,

Regarding your questions...
How serious is the issue of Microsoft dropping all support for XP next
April?
Microsoft will not be supporting XP for any updates. This date has been
extended from previous dates.

What are most firms migrating to?  Win-7?  Win-8?
Currently I work in the Power industry (utility) and we are just now
migrating to Windows 7.
Slight learning curve for using windows 8 would be too much for some folks
at work.

I would guess that either Win-7 or Win-8 will need more horsepower than XP
and neither will run very well on older PCs.  True?
Yes, Microsoft has a adviser that you can download to a Pc and it will
check to see if the PC is compatible to upgrade to windows 7. Here is the
link
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Will Access 2007 applications run Okay with either Win-7 or Win-8?
Yes,

Hope this helps...

John

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Brad Marks <BradM at blackforestltd.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> I work part time for a small manufacturing firm (about 50 employees)
> with a very limited IT budget.
>
> Currently there are about 20 older PCs running Windows XP (SP3).  There
> are two purchased application systems and a number of Access 2007
> applications.
>
> It is my understanding that Microsoft is dropping all support (including
> security updates) for XP in April of 2014.
>
> My background is primarily in application development and database
> administration.  In the past, I have relied on fellow employees for
> "Operating System issues".
>
> I have some dumb questions.
>
> How serious is the issue of Microsoft dropping all support for XP next
> April?
>
> What are most firms migrating to?  Win-7?  Win-8?
>
> I would guess that either Win-7 or Win-8 will need more horsepower than
> XP and neither will run very well on older PCs.  True?
>
> Will Access 2007 applications run Okay with either Win-7 or Win-8?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

John Serrano