[AccessD] Future of Windows XP

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 22 13:50:24 CDT 2013

The Wine product that runs on virtually all distros of Linux.

http://www.winehq.org/

It is not a virtual drive (like NTVDM) or an emulator but a product that is totally integrated environment. This means that any Windows program running with it will perform as fast or faster than it would natively. There is a full set of documentation and Forums which can assist with any product installation.

Here is a link to the process of installing Microsoft Office on Ubuntu Linux: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Microsoft_Office

To the best of my knowledge WineHQ supports every Office version from '95 to 2013 but I have only installed and tested Office 2003, which worked without issues...my MS Access 2003 applications and all. Note, that Wine runs just about everything; most major games, all Adobe products and even remote take-over products like TeamViewer.

In addition there are commercial products that can also make the move effortless:
http://www2.codeweavers.com/products/#cxlinux

Jim