[AccessD] Questions on 32-bit 64-bit - Applications Developed withAccess-2007

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue Aug 27 16:42:10 CDT 2013

<<It is my understanding that Access 2007 applications (32 bit) will run
fine under Win-7 32-bit or Win-7 64 bit.>>

 Yes.

<<It is my understanding that there are significant problems when trying
to run Access 2007 (32-bit) applications with Office 2013 (64 bit).  Is
this true?>>

 Depends.  If you used Windows API calls, yes.   When running 64 bit Access,
any external call made is expected to be 64 bit.  That means ODBC DSN
connections, drivers, etc.  Anything outside of Access needs to be 64 bit.

 You can either write two versions of your DB, or use compiler directives so
that it will run in both environments (up to a point).

<<Also, it is my understanding that if Office 2013 is installed on a
Windows-7 64-bit PC, it will be installed as Office 2013 64-bit.>>

 No, there are still two versions.  However you cannot mix and match 32 vs
64 bit within Office.  Ie. Excel can't be 64 bit and Access 32 bit.

<<Will an Access 2007 application run Okay with Office 2013 32-bit?>>

 Yes.

Jim.