[AccessD] Controlling an Access Reporting Application from an iPhone, iPad or iPod

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Fri Aug 30 15:37:02 CDT 2013

All,

A few weeks ago, I posted a question regarding a little R&D project that
I was having some fun with regarding how to control an Access Reporting
Application from an iPhone, iPad or iPod.

Stuart posted a reply regarding his use of a product called
Basic4Android that is for building applications on Android devices.

Since this exchange of ideas, I have purchased TechBasic ($15) for the
Apple realm, and Basic4Android ($35) for the Android world.

I have had some success with both products, but I REALLY like
Basic4Android.  I have been amazed by what I have been able to build in
my spare time.  This is just a "hobby project" and I just wanted to see
what was possible.

I have written a little Basic4Android application that collects data
from a "text-box", stores this data in an SQL database, uploads this
data to a website via FTP, and has a button to then display the website.

Coming from an IBM mainframe background where the "big iron" boxes were
as large as a semi truck and the database costs were over $20,000/month,
I almost could not believe it when I held a 7" Nexus tablet and played
with adding data to a SQL database (SQLite).

So, I showed this little ap to my wife (of 40 years)... she was not
impressed.

I then showed it to our youngest son who lives in the world of Android
devices - he was not impressed.

I then showed it to both our dog and to our neighbor's cat - neither
were impressed.

I then e-mailed the .apk file (Android Package file) to our son-in-law
(married our daughter 6 months ago).  He tried the ap and wrote back
that he was impressed.  However, he is still trying to get in good with
the in-laws.

I have recently read with some interest the info about Alpha Anywhere.
This sounds like a very good product.  However, with no budget for R&D
hobby projects, Alpha Anywhere may be overkill for my purposes.  Perhaps
down the road if my employer has the need for a new large project, I
will get my hands on Alpha Anywhere.   In the mean time, I plan to
continue to experiment with Basic4Android at home and continue to use
Microsoft Access for the bulk of my company's application work.

Brad