[AccessD] Unable to Establish Firebird ODBC Connection for Access 2007 Application (Win-7 Pro 32-bit)

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Sat Dec 14 20:40:25 CST 2013

All,

I work with an Access 2007 application system that obtains data from a Firebird database via ODBC.

I have set up the ODBC connections on about 15 PCs.  Some have XP, some have Win-7 32 bit and some have Win-7 64 bit.  All of these PCs are able to access the Firebird database nicely.

Recently, a refurbished HP PC was purchased from NewEgg.  It has Win-7 Pro 32-bit.  I thought that setting up ODBC on this PC would be easy, as I have done this before on other Win-7 Pro 32-bit PCs.

I downloaded the ODBC Driver from firebirdsql.org for Windows 32-bit.  I then ran the install which worked properly.

However, when I try to set up the ODBC connection and then run the “Test Connection” I receive a message  “Open database ‘C:\test.fdb’ failed”.

I know that the  .fdb  file is a valid database.

I have run many tests, downloaded all of the latest Windows updates, and tried different versions of the Windows 32 bit driver.  All with no luck.

I must be missing something.

Is there a way to discern more details about why the ODBC setup is failing?

The error message  “Open database ‘C:\test.fdb’ failed” does not give me much to go on.

Thanks,
Brad