[AccessD] SQL Server Migration Wizard

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 08:22:42 CST 2013

I got a day job recently.  As part of that job I am tasked with upsizing several (or perhaps
hundreds of) Access databases to SQL Server.  So I went out to the internet and discovered the SSMA
tool which has a variant specific to Access.  While I just started playing with it all I can say is
WOW.  I tried it on a raw, unsplit database which has ODBC linked tables to SQL Server as well as
pass through queries etc.  I am just trying to see what it does in such a case.

However I also split a database using the split wizard and then migrated that using the SSMA and it
just went.  Awsome.  Tables, indexes, PKs, etc.  I want to discover what happens with tables where
there is referential integrity established so I added that to a table pair that were in fact related
and re-migrated those two tables.  I did not check the cascade update / delete though I will go back
and do that just to see what happens.

My question is how do I see the constraint preventing deletion of parent records when the child
exists?  Where in the SSMS GUI can I visually see that stuff?

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it