[AccessD] FW: Back-up

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Feb 2 14:46:10 CST 2013

Big businesses have all sorts of solid backup policies/regimes.  Individuals like ourselves can
use your solution with no problems.  We can make sure that nothing is open when we make
our backups.

But it's no good for Susie User in a small business who comes in in the morning, switches
her computer on and starts Outlook, then opens and closes various documents and
databases all day.  At the end of the day, she shuts down her computer (hopefully closing
Outlook and any open databases first).

As with Rocky's client who started this thread, they need something which can copy open
files including their Outlook .pst or whatever and their Access/Excel/Word open
databases/documents.   IOW, something which uses the Windows Volume Shadow Copy
Service (VSS)  rather than a simple Copy or XCopy type process

It  doesn't need to be a full backup, generally just their My Documents,  AppData folders etc

They also won't remember to do it regularly, so it needs to  run automatically in the
background preferably scheduled for when they are on their lunch break.

Application such as the  freeware Shadowcopy run from a scheduled script (as batch file are
now supposed to be called <g>) are very useful for this..

--
Stuart

 -