[AccessD] Adding Bar Coding and Scanners to an Access Application

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Feb 14 14:03:50 CST 2013

Brad,

 As the others have said, it's fairly straight forward.

 The "Wedge" type scanner Rocky mentioned goes between keyboard and PC.
Because of that, the PC can't tell if data was keyed in or scanned.   Guns
however can transmit a prefix and/or suffix along with the data, so it's
possible to "flag" data coming from the gun. On the Access side, anytime
your waiting for keyboard input, you can receive scanned data.

 There are also USB based guns and most come with a driver to make it appear
as keyboard input. Beyond that there are wireless handhelds, etc that
require a little more work, but in this day and age, it's pretty plug and
play.

 On the printing of bar codes, it's not as simple as just getting a font.  A
font only gives you the "characters" for a Symbology.  There's no
programming there to make sure you follow the rules for it (check digits,
guard characters, density, etc).

 Two of the most popular symbologies are 3 of 9 (alpha numeric) and 2 of 5
(numeric only).

 If you stick with one of those, you probably could get away with just
getting a font. But if you stray out into others, I would strongly suggest
getting a 3rd party DLL or Lib such as abarcode.

 There are also media considerations, but from the sounds of things, you
needs are simple there.

Jim.