[AccessD] Tired of this List

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 00:00:53 CST 2013

I recently submitted an article and will happily supply zips to accompany
it. I should have thought of this years ago, as Tony Saptev said, but
better late than never. Anyway, it's out there for all and everyone to
read, on my blog and hopefully soon on our list.

Now that I've embarked on this project, I also plan to buttress the first
article with a description/explanation of the Normal Forms beyond 3NF
(which for years I have argued is insufficient), but now that I have some
spare time, I plan to demonstrate why 3NF fails the big tests. 4NF or BCNF
or 5NF are the only intelligent ways to go in large databases. That shall
be the theme of my next post to our site.

What has happened to our site, if I might be permitted an observation or
two, is that we have co-educated one another to the point that we know most
of the answers to most of the obvious questions. Therefore we have stopped
conversing about these topics. The traffic that exists is primarily about
non-obvious issues. That's not a bad thing.

What is also obvious is that we are failing to attract new minnows. It's
possible that this is because the pool of ambitious Access power-users
is shrinking. If that is the case, then none of us can do anything about
that.

There is also the possibility that our discussions have acquired such a
narrowl focus as to be intelligible only to the Accesserati. If that is the
case, then our expertise has defeated our mission in creating this place.

On the other hand, I just met a man today who has spent the past decade
developing a vertical app and has carved himself a comfortable niche within
his doman. He needs some expert help and I am happy to provide it. Make no
mistake: he knows a Ton more about business than I do, and has carved out
quite a lovely niche for himself. But now it's time for the heavy lifting,
most notably Performance Problems.

Oh Gawd, I'm thinking of hanging out a new shingle: Dr. Arthur can solve
your Performance Issues!

LOL, now I'm a software therapist. "Tell me how you feel when you're
writing code."

A.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Doug Steele <dbdoug at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM, John W Colby <jwcolby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > old
>

> Nicely said, John!
>
> Have you by any chance run into Q, or do you think he works for Microsoft?
>
> Doug
>
> PS en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr