[AccessD] AccessD never changes

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 14:27:16 CST 2013

> Charlotte Foust
>
> Why should we be leading a pack? ...

Charlotte,

I think the group in the past has brought up a lot of people from relative
noob status to fairly competent developers. For a serious newcomer, this
was where the rubber met the road.

Anyhow, this topic has a a familiar devolution:

Dissenter: The group is going downhill!
Group: What?!? We love it like this -- it should never change! (Long
reminiscences about the glory days of the past)
Dissenter: Show numbers that demonstrate a growing group.
Group: (silence)
Dissenter: Show one way that we are relevant, or excel in some way that
would draw new people in.
Group: Why should we be relevant? We don't like those new people anyway.
Dissenter: What about Groups X, Y and Z, all of which have bigger-name
experts, higher post volumes and more on-topic posts?
Group: (grumble mumble)
Dissenter: So what exactly is our purpose? Shouldn't we own up to the fact
that we have become an old fart's social club?
Group: Why, if it wasn't for our lumbago, we'd get after you, you
rapscallion!

It's just funny to me how many people here are not willing to acknowledge
the obvious, and are flustered by those who point it out.

-Ken