[AccessD] my situation....

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Thu Feb 28 20:15:45 CST 2013

I just want to let everyone know that I've made most of my hard (Very Hard)
earned income by doing Excel VBA
Work over the past 2 years.
I've done complex, multi-workbook, multi-source automation projects that
integrated data from disparate sources.
I built a huge optimization model that was driven by a 3rd party linear
programming optimizer written in C++.
I recently built a supply chain management tool that integrates with a
specialized ERP/CRM application built specifically for chemical
distributors. The tool is a completely menu-driven app written for Excel
2010 and the user never needs to touch one worksheet or one
cell....everything is form or menu-driven. It tells them what-to-buy and
when-to-buy it....a complex optimal order quantity model that is completely
integrated and automated. All they do is push some buttons...and filter the
results. I even created a complex piece of code to remember their filter
settings...a non-trivial task when filters are based on icons or color.

After reviewing the thousands of pages of design notes I developed over the
past 5 years, and then looking at this work relative to the people who were
salaried at the companies I contracted at...
I'd say I did about 5 TIMES the work of any of one those employees....for no
benefits, no healthcare, nothing.
And moreover, it was about 10-20 times the work of any of the managers,
principals or VP's at these organizations.
One manager I encountered....worked for Comcast...and never came to work.
Over the 3 months I worked for him, I saw him 2 times. TWICE in 3 months !!!
And he was paid handsomely with great benefits.

I recently confirmed the desperate nature of this job market in IT
contracting:
A bid for a small 6 month contract at a "nobody" firm had me facing a list
of 84 competitors.
84 !! Again, no bennies, no healthcare.

I think my days in this business are rapidly coming to a close.
Interestingly, I am now bidding on an Access project that likely will be my
last contract.
I just reviewed the app this evening.
It's to do the complex payroll app for a crane operations company that has
union workers...with multiple skills, rates, and locations.

A grisly discovery from reviewing the data: some of these union workers are
making more per hour than I am....plus they get benefits....and they have no
formal college education either.