[AccessD] 32 bit mde incompatible with 64 bit office

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Fri Jan 11 19:23:50 CST 2013

Thanks - will forward.

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Dettman
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 2:57 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] 32 bit mde incompatible with 64 bit office

<<I have a report from a potential customer who tried to run my 2003 mde
compiled on 32bit system and says it won't because they have 64 bit Office
installed.>>

 Quite possible.  If you have made API calls or use 32 bit
references/add-ins, then yup it's not gonna fly.

<<I would think it to be backward compatible but it is MS - no telling what
they'll do next.>>

  It's not MS; any 32 bit app placed in a 64 bit situation would not work.

  Just to be clear, you can run a 32bit DB in a 32bit or 64 bit OS, but if
you have 64 bit Office installed, the assumption is that the DB was written
with 64 bit's in mind.

  In fact you can get the same DB to run in 32 or 64 bit Office even if it
has API calls (you need to use complier directives to tell it what applies
to 32 bit situations and what applies to 64).

   But do him a favor and tell him to un-install it and put in 32 bit
Office.  The only thing it gets you is extremely large Excel spreadsheets.
There are few add-ins or com components for 64 bit Office.  In fact
Microsoft is still recommending everyone install 32 bit Office unless there
is a very specific need for the 64 bit version.

  Here's a better one I just caught wind of: Microsoft now states
unequivocally that Office 2003 is not compatible with Windows 8 and will not
run properly under it.  You must upgrade Office if you move to Windows 8
(outside of using a VM of course).

Jim.

I have a report from a potential customer who tried to run my 2003 mde
compiled on 32bit system and says it won't because they have 64 bit Office
installed.

I would think it to be backward compatible but it is MS - no telling what
they'll do next.

Can this be?

MTIA

Rocky Smolin