[AccessD] Error 3188 Could not update; currently locked by another session on this machine

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Mon Jan 14 11:51:53 CST 2013

Dear List:

I have an app generating the subject error when trying to delete a record.
I'm running this locally (FE and BE) and I'm the only one running it.

The previous version of this app does not have the error.  So something I
changed in the process of doing the client's latest wish list created it.

I imported the opening form, main menu, and form that throws the error, and
a module of Public functions from the previous version which works and it
still generates the error.  So it's not in those forms or module.

(No unfortunately, I did not document each of my changes. :(((( )

the code is pretty simple:

Private Sub cmdDelete_Click()

On Error GoTo IsIt3200:

intReply = MsgBox("Are you absolutely certain that you want to delete this
Company record?", vbYesNo)
If intReply = vbNo Then Exit Sub

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord

Me.cboCompanies.Requery

Exit Sub

IsIt3200:

If Err.Number = 3200 Then
    MsgBox "Company cannot be deleted as it is being used in one or more
Jobs/Bids", vbExclamation
    Exit Sub
Else
    MsgBox "Error: " & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    Call cmdExit_Click
End If

End Sub

trapping the condition if the company PK is an FK in any Job in tblJobs.  So
I tried using db.Execute like this:

Private Sub cmdDelete_Click()

On Error GoTo IsIt3200:

intReply = MsgBox("Are you absolutely certain that you want to delete this
Company record?", vbYesNo)
If intReply = vbNo Then Exit Sub

Set db = CurrentDb
db.Execute "Delete * FROM tblCompany WHERE CompanyID = " & Me.CompanyID
Me.Requery

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord

Me.cboCompanies.Requery

Exit Sub

IsIt3200:

If Err.Number = 3200 Then
    MsgBox "Company cannot be deleted as it is being used in one or more
Jobs/Bids", vbExclamation
    Exit Sub
Else
    MsgBox "Error: " & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    Call cmdExit_Click
End If

End Sub
'

Generates no error but doesn't delete the record.

Any ideas what I might have done to break my app?

MTIA

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software
858-259-4334