[AccessD] Getting around old workgroup security

Tony Septav TSeptav at Uniserve.com
Thu Jul 11 20:50:11 CDT 2013

Hey John
You tend to be very long winded. But...... that is the beauty of a list such
as this.  You have the opportunity of picking the brains of some of the best
minds in the business.

Tony Septav
Nanaimo, BC
Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: July-11-13 2:21 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Getting around old workgroup security

Yes, Jim...and I was going to reply personally...that was an immensely
generous offer, and I very much appreciated it. I just got into working on
this today...had an intern watching over my shoulder on it too. And, I had
to go w/my son today...he asked that I tag along, while he and his
girlfriend singed the lease on their first apartment. But, I was going to
write later, when I got home.

I also had the issue of data in this thing. I would imagine I'd take some
major heat if I sent this personal info out. There is this whole process
that I'd never ask someone doing me a favor to do. If it came to that, I'd
simply strip the data though...not a big deal.

We did make some major headway on this though. I found two old laptops that
were just removed from departments. One had Win XP on it, so I figured to
load Access 97 and be one my way. The other was actually a Win 95
machine...didn't even think any remained around here.

On the XP machine, I had some issues. First I had a problem w/the Hatten
font and an OCX wouldn't register. I moved the font and reinstalled w/out
HTML...that was the OCX that was offended...and it loaded fine. Then when I
went to run it, I got the "Out of Memory" notice. I know from the past, that
this means I needed to load up the new JET, but in the mean time the intern
was loading the W95 machine and Access 97 loaded right up on that w/no
issues.

The only problem is, it has no CD Rom, no USB, and we had problems
connecting it to the network cleanly. So, I used the XP to connect to it via
IP address for file transfer purposes. Did the work on the W95 machine. And,
I had my PC sitting in the middle connected and can share via network w/the
XP machine.

The programmer really tried tightening this up, so there was no "admin"
rights...he created and gave all rights to "MyAdmin" instead. I had
to...intern did it...grant admin rights for each and every object to
"admin." Then I created a new DB and imported all objects. I then got the
file over to my PC and went right into opening it...and hopefully
updating...in Access 2010. I didn't know if this would work, but I thought
I'd try...I have a safe copy.

It didn't appear to work, but I had to leave for a while. I'm back now, but
I probably won't get to it until morning now.

I'll give an update tomorrow...

>>> "Jim Dettman" <jimdettman at verizon.net> 7/11/2013 1:21 PM >>>
John,

  Not sure if you saw my off-line e-mail or not yesterday, but it's sounds
like your on your way.

  To de-secure a DB, you need the workgroup file it was secured with.

  Login as admin, open the DB, and then assign all rights to the users group
for all objects (which is the same in every workgroup file).

  If your going to continue to use the same workgroup file with it, you can
then set the admin user to a blank password.

  To strip out any remaining security, you'll need to start Access normally
using the standard workgroup file, create a new db container, and then
import all objects from the old DB.

Jim.