[AccessD] When it rains it pours!

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Fri Jul 19 14:02:45 CDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com on behalf of John Clark
Sent: Fri 7/19/2013 12:17 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] When it rains it pours!

>> Awesome story...funny as heck...and you just made me laugh, which I very much needed today. Thank you!

>> how old...I have to ask...was your son?

John - Glad you got a chuckle out of my story.  My son was in his early twenties and was working in the Network Admin area of a large firm.  Brad

>>> "Brad Marks" <BradM at blackforestltd.com> 7/16/2013 3:34 PM >>>
John,

Your mention of a UNC reminded me of a funny incident a couple years ago that cost me $100.

I was working on an Access 2007 reporting application that was set up to run after hours in a "Terminal Services" environment.  In the past, this application was simply pulling data from SQL Server, generating reports, and e-mailing these reports to select employees.  This was all working fine until one day when it became necessary to obtain a small amount of data from an Excel file.

When I set things up to obtain the data from the Excel file, Access automatically inserted the path of the Excel file with the "Mapped Drive".  All of my tests worked fine, but when the application ran at night, it would hang up.  I spent several hours working on this.  The application would always run nicely when I was logged on, but would never run successfully when I was logged off.

In frustration, I said "I will give $100 to anyone who could explain why this is happening".  My oldest son heard me say this and said, "You better use a UNC as the drive mappings are not in affect when you are logged off".

Boy did I ever feel stupid.  I added the UNC, conducted a successful test while logged off, and handed my son five 20-dollar bills!

I have never made this mistake again.

Brad