[AccessD] I was not going to post this

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 10:38:13 CST 2013

You're both right and also wrong. Visical was the first player in the game.
Lotus was second, and kicked Visicalc's ass. But neither of these compares
to dBASE-II, and the absolutely brilliant ad created by Hal Pollock, about
the bilge pump. Wayne was a genius, he wrote the whole thing in assembly
and it ran comfortably in 64k. It was originally called Vulcan but somebody
threatened him with a lawsuit, and Hal came to the table with a new name,
dBASE-II. As it happens, I was the first journalist to land interviews with
both of these folks. And yes, Visicalc made a huge impact, but dBASE-II
made a larger one.

Incidentally, for those into nomenclature, I asked Hal why it was called
dBASE-II and he said, and although that interview was about 30 years ago, I
think that I can quote him accurately, "Because dBASE One would have
sounded like a virgin product."

Arthur