[AccessD] Source control Access

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 3 13:04:16 CST 2013

Hi Guys:

You should try Subversion SVN, unless you are managing thousands of builds
and users, SourceSafe and its big brother Team Foundation Server is over
featured and maybe a little over priced.

Many development houses I know of, use SVN all the time. Then there is a
product called Git which has been highly recommended as the heir apparent.
On both the above products there are thousands of articles, tutorials and
solutions on deploying and using them. (Not that it would matter to this
group but the above two will also run on virtually any OS platform via
desktop, server, across the web or even through the Cloud.)

Git downloads: http://git-scm.com/downloads

Even hosting companies for Subversion allow you to run your development from
anywhere: http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download (there is a free version but
you will have to pay for the extra space.) And it is expandable from one-off
to huge enterprises: http://www.open.collab.net/downloads/subversion.html

Then there is Tortoise which encapsulates Subversion and allows it to be
easily hosted and run on Windows: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

There are other great products out there that are equally effective but tend
to be targets towards particular development groups and cycles.

Jim