[AccessD] New Approach

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Mon Mar 4 09:37:01 CST 2013

Hi Brad,

Access should be around for a long time, but because people want to open the
system on their laptops when they are away from the office, Access may not
be the best platform for an application that everyone uses.

You have sort of 3 choices (by increasing complexity):

1) Convert your Access tables to SQL Server and rewrite the Access
application to connect to SQL server w/o using table links.  IOW, write your
connection code within the app.  External users will connect via VPN to your
network.

2) Convert your access tables to SQL Server and rewrite the application in
VB.Net or C#.  This is a good choice but a significant learning curve.
External users will connect via VPN to your network.

3) Rewrite everything and create a web site.  Users will connect directly to
that site.

Hope this helps!

Dan