[AccessD] New Approach

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 09:48:11 CST 2013

Hi Brad

I've been living with this situation for years, kind of, in that I support
several Access apps at a medium-sized company. A number of these apps run on
Access 97, which hasn't been "around" for a long time. And that's the nub
really. What does "being around" really mean (without getting all metaphysical
about it)?

1. MS don't support it. To me this is an irrelevance as I don't ask for their
support. This list is way better than that. My client doesn't know or care. I am
his support (but see point 4).

2.There are no new Service Packs. Glory be!

3. Can you still buy copies of the required version of Access? You need to think
about that one. You may need to stockpile copies. PC's will need replacing and
you need to be able to install the right Access on them.

4. Will future OS's support your version of Access? Impossible to say but the
track record's good. As I say I'm still running Access 97 and we're onto W7 no
problem.

5. From the client's point-of-view can he get backup support if you fall under a
bus (heaven forbid)? That's unlikely to be a problem for many years to come,
although once us oldies on this list all retire.... :-)

IMO if the apps are stable and you are around to support and modify as needed
there's no great issue. If my experience is anything to go by a smallish client
will be happy to leave working applications well alone with the minimum of
tinkering and may be spooked by any talk of porting to another software
platform. Ok, call me a Luddite.

Andy