[AccessD] New Approach

Tony Septav TSeptav at Uniserve.com
Mon Mar 4 17:01:27 CST 2013

Hey Rusty
Alpha Five and Filemaker each have a web component and they require
additional paid for components installed on a server too.

Not true if you buy the package.

Tony Septav
Nanaimo, BC
Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Rusty Hammond
Sent: March-04-13 4:19 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] New Approach

Nice.

I can envision a Surface Pro tablet, loaded with Access 2010 (or the
free runtime), workers in the field adding/editing data on the tablet.
If they have an internet connection, great the data syncs, if they are
somewhere they don't have a connection, fine, it syncs when they do have
a connection.

For management, they have a copy of the app back at the office for
reporting - OR - setup reports in Report Server pulling from the
Sharepoint site.

Nice portable application, uses existing MS Access front end, no
learning curve for us Access developers, except how to attach to a
Sharepoint site or Office 365 account.

Then there's the Access Web database.  Used to create an application
using Sharepoint with Access Web Services installed.  No VBA but uses
the new macro's.  End user doesn't need Access installed, just a web
browser.  May not be the solution for all database apps, but for simple
data entry and reporting, may work very well for a mobile application.

Alpha Five and Filemaker each have a web component and they require
additional paid for components installed on a server too.

I'm just not sure I buy the idea that MS has given up on Access just
yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Rusty