[AccessD] Access 2007 - compacted

Nicholas Lee Nicholas at nagase.com.my
Wed Mar 6 00:47:21 CST 2013

Hi Stuart,
Thanks.

Nicholas

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Stuart
McLachlan
Sent: Wednesday, 6 March, 2013 14:10
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Access 2007 - compacted

Hi Nicholas,

MS explains it quite well.  The following is copied from Help after
entering "Split a database"
in the search box is Access 2010  (I haven't quoted the whole article -
in addition to the
following overview, it contains specific instructions on how to do it):

Overview
When you split a database, you reorganize it into two files - a back-end
database that
contains the data tables, and a front-end database that contains all the
other database
objects such as queries, forms, and reports. Each user interacts with
the data by using a
local copy of the front-end database.

To split a database, you use the Database Splitter Wizard. After you
split the database, you
must distribute the front-end database to your users.

Benefits of a split database
The benefits of a split database include the following:

Improved performance  The performance of the database usually improves
significantly
because only the data is sent across the network. In a shared database
that is not split, the
database objects themselves - tables, queries, forms, reports, macros
and modules - are
sent across the network, not just the data.

Greater availability  Because only the data is sent across the network,
database transactions
such as record edits are completed more quickly, which leaves the data
more available to
edit.

Enhanced security  If you store the back-end database on a computer that
uses the NTFS
file system, you can use NTFS security features to help protect your
data. Because users
access the back-end database by using linked tables, it is less likely
that intruders can obtain
unauthorized access to the data by stealing the front-end database or by
posing as an
authorized user. By default, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows
Server 2003 use the
NTFS file system.

Improved reliability  If a user encounters a problem and the database
closes unexpectedly,
any database file corruption is usually limited to the copy of the
front-end database that the
user had open. Because the user only accesses data in the back-end
database by using
linked tables, the back-end database file is much less likely to become
corrupted.

Flexible development environment  Because each user works with a local
copy of the
front-end database, each user can independently develop queries, forms,
reports, and other
database objects without affecting other users. Similarly, you can
develop and distribute a
new version of the front-end database without disrupting access to the
data that is stored in
the back-end database.

--
Stuart