[AccessD] Lock Down PC

John Bodin jbodin at sbor.com
Tue Mar 12 08:21:35 CDT 2013

Hi Brad,

Since it is XP, Microsoft *had* a program called Steady State that allows you to lock down the computer to only show icons for applications you want available to users of the machine, as well as what can be changed and run etc.  It allowed you to set a timer to auto-logoff users after say 30 minutes, reboot and restore last image so that if someone were able to install say Chrome and you didn't want them to, next reboot the image would overwrite this install.

They have discontinued it so you have to do some searching to find the installer.  It is out there and a doc to go with it. Still works (I have a few machines in common areas at some clients with this.)  Win7 can be setup similarly but you have to use some tools (free) and Group Policy manipulation to get it done.  There are docs out there describing this.  Good luck.

John