[AccessD] Max length Command Line Parms for Access2007

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 14:41:03 CDT 2013

Jack,

AFAIK there would be no particular Access 2007 limit
(I have not got a copy to test)
However, there is a limit to the length of the 'line' that the OS will
handle

A 'Bing' search with keys of
windows command line length limits
returns a variety of, at first looks, useful entries
MS KB 830473 WinXP and later - 8191 characters
MSDN 2003/12/10 56028 INTERNET_MAX_URL_LENGTH 2048
The use of Shell Extension handlers - see
see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144165(VS.85).aspx and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776797.aspx).

A workaround (that confuses me) at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gwt-maven@googlegroups.com/msg00301.html

And that there are other limits as in
Red Hat 9 GNU/Linux appears to have a limit of about 128K characters, while
Windows XP has a limit of 32K.

Plus a .bat limit applied as:  Any batch file line exceeding 127 bytes is
truncated at 127 bytes before it is processed.

AND - re .cmd lines
a.. In Command Prompt, the total length of the following command line that
you use at the command prompt cannot contain more than either 2047 or 8191
characters (as appropriate to your operating system):
cmd.exe /k ExecutableFile.exe parameter1, parameter2 ... parameterN
a.. In a batch file, the total length of the following command line that you
use in the batch file cannot contain more than either 2047 or 8191
characters (as appropriate to your operating system):
cmd.exe /k ExecutableFile.exe parameter1, parameter2 ... parameterN
This limitation applies to command lines that are contained in batch files
when you use Command Prompt to run the batch file.
a.. In Command Prompt, the total length of EnvironmentVariable1 after you
expand EnvironmentVariable2 and EnvironmentVariable3 cannot contain more
than either 2047 or 8191 characters (as appropriate to your operating
system):
c:> set EnvironmentVariable1=EnvironmentVariable2EnvironmentVariable3
a.. In a batch file, the total length of the following command line after
you expand the environment variables in the command line cannot contain more
than either 2047 or 8191 characters (as appropriate to your operating
system):
ExecutableFile.exe parameter1parameter2
a.. Even though the Win32 limitation for environment variables is 32,767
characters, Command Prompt ignores any environment variables that are
inherited from the parent process and are longer than its own limitations of
either 2047 or 8191 characters (as appropriate to the operating system). For
more information about the SetEnvironmentVariable function, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:

So AFAIK - it's fun for all, and  a "depends on" answer

 JimB