[AccessD] Automating word

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon May 13 15:42:40 CDT 2013

Short answer is No. Slightly longer answer is "Why would you want to
switch?" Drop-dead easy to do PTQs and if thBE is anything, MySQL,
PostGres, MS SQL, this is a no-brainer. So where is your problem? And why
would you want to support both local and PTQs? That makes absolutely no
sense to me. Commit or abdicate, and from then on the decisions are simple.
I'm very empatically in favour of PTQs, but I also realize that with
certain apps (badly designed, IMO) there is a need for local tables. So be
it.

Yes, there is some magic that can swtich, but that is so wrong that I
humbly request that you rethink the problem. There is IME no reason ever to
do this. I can show you the magic, which I wrote about 19 years ago, and it
sucks, and I have abandoned it about 17 years ago, and if you want to
implement it, you're an idiot. That is most emphatically NOT the way to go.

And in case any reader is interested, JC and I have met and are friends,
and so I can feel free to declare some of his thoughts idiocies without
causing offence or violence. To turn it around, JC has taught me an immense
amount about various subjects, and I visit his blog daily.

But now and then, we all get it wrong, and IMO this is one such instance of
the MyApp.Stoopids.() collection.

A.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM, John W Colby <jwcolby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pretty much sucks.
>
> Sigh.
>
> I have code that works now... if the query is a stored procedure pass
> through to SQL
> Server.  If it is just a local query to a linked table in Access it fails
> with the very helpful error 5922 "Word was unable to open the data source".
>
> Does anyone know the magic for switching between ODBC pass through queries
> and local queries?  It seems to have to do with the
> MailMerge.OpenDataSource parameters but I have spent hours futzing with
> this and I do have it working ... for pass through queries.
>
> --
> John W. Colby
>
> Reality is what refuses to go away
> when you do not believe in it

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr