[AccessD] Maths Simplification

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Sat Nov 2 01:31:43 CDT 2013

Not strictly Access but here goes.

I have a number (X) that measures the number of text messages to be sent in
a batch.

In a batch Y messages will fail to send.

Any failed messages will be sent as a fresh batch which will also have Y
messages that will fail to send.

The number of times a set of messages should be resent is Z

The formula to calculate how many messages are sent including resends is:

X + (X*Y^1) + (X*Y^2) .. + (X*Y^Z)

For example, 100 messages with a 20% fail rate to be sent 3 times is:

100 + (100 * .2) + (100 * .2^2) = 100 + 20 + 4 = 124

I could write this as a loop for Z times and add the values but I was
wondering if there was a single line formula which does the same thing?

Just curious.

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd