[AccessD] Microsoft Visual Studio - How Difficult to Surround ?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Nov 21 09:24:06 CST 2013

 Hi Brad --

VS is a great devs-friendly environment but the "transition" from MS Access/VBA -> VS VB.NET and especially C# could be rather difficult.
Also I'd note that a legacy "website that was built with Visual Studio" you're about to inherit could be in a general case as messy as VBA/VB6 apps often are. Be careful. Ask somebody experienced with VS Web development  to verify its sources.

If you have an MS Excel/MS Word (COM) add-in you've built by yourself or you're supporting for a long time and you're familiar with then you can try to convert it to VB/NET/C# equivalent. Quite some time ago (year 2004) I have made such an exercise with my own customer MS Excel/VBA advanced COM add-in and it took a week to get it converted into VB.NET but that time I have had already some .NET experience/knowledge.

It's more than ten years now that I'm working with .NET/C# and related technologies, full-time from year 2006, and I'm still earning a lot everyday - for comparison: I have started to work with MS Access 1.1 in December 1993, by summer 1994 I was quite fluent with it, by summer 1995 I have got at expert level, and the same time I have got my first international contract for a large MS Access/VBA project...

FYI: to make your VS transition smoother you'll better find some tutoring support, as proceeding by yourself could be very time consuming. StackOverflow is a good place to get prompt feedback on many practical questions. dba-VB could be also helpful but everybody are very busy here with their workday business so if your questions on dba-VB will require lengthy explanations they could be left unanswered.

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:24 PM -06:00 from "Brad Marks" <BradM at blackforestltd.com>:
>All,
>
>There is a good chance that I may be asked to support a website that was
>built with Visual Studio.
>
>I have never worked with this environment.
>
>For the past five years I have primarily worked with Access, VBA, etc.
>
>In a prior life, I worked with COBOL, Assembler, Easytrieve, JCL, SUPRA,
>DB2 etc.  - therefore some slight brain damage  :-)
>
>I would like to know how difficult the transition is from Access and VBA
>to Visual Studio.
>
>Thanks,
>Brad
>
>--