[AccessD] Access Back End in the Cloud

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Oct 14 13:44:46 CDT 2013

Adding to what else has been said:

1. Some have gone this route:

www.eqldata.com

 Not really a "Cloud" solution, but when most talk about the cloud, more
often then not, their talking about supporting remote users.

2. I've known one developer that tried Azure a few years back and it didn't
work well because of latency issues.  He gave up on it.   From what I've
heard recently, not much has changed.

3. A fellow MVP, Armen Stein, has some good tips here (which I believe I've
posted in the past):

http://www.jstreettech.com/cartgenie/pg_developerDownloads.asp

  for working with a Access FE and SQL BE over a WAN.  Download "Best of
both Worlds".   But in short, the app pretty much needs to be designed from
the start with that in mind.  Everything as much as possible needs to get
pushed server side and your approach to the user interface needs to be
different (no more simply binding a form directly to a table) in order for
it to work well.

 Note sure if it's worth your while or not, but you might want to attend
"Access Day", which is on the last day of the MVP Summit. Access Day
(www.AccessDay.org) is Nov 21 and is being sponsored by Jstreet (Armen's
company).

  There will be sessions by Kevin Bell, Luke Chung, Tom van Stiphout, George
Hepworth, Andy Couch, and Armen.  Their going to cover a mix of Access
client techniques and the new Access web app stuff.  The location is at
Microsoft's offices in The Bravern in Bellevue. Early registration fee is
$99.  If you have questions about the event, send an e-mail to
AccessDay at JStreetTech.com.

Jim.