[AccessD] DefaultIID Referential Integrity Puzzler

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 01:09:20 CDT 2014

This is related to a question Jon asked.

I just set up a database's relationships between Company and
CompanyContact according to these rules... and found I could do it but of
course couls not add any data!

So, companycontacts is in a many to one with company through a
field companycontact.fkcompanyid (many) to company.companyid (one)

But I also thought, suppose we want a defaultcontact at each company, who
must be found in the companycontact table. So company is in a many to one
relationship with companycontact through a field company.fkDefaultContactID
(many) to companycontact.contactid (one).

Access let me put in these relationships but I could not add a contact
because there was no companyid I could tie them to (company table was
empty), and I could not add a company because I could not populate the
default contact field, as there was nothing yet in the companycontact table.

This is a weird catch22.

I think the solution is that the first contact would be the defaultcontact,
but then again, that person could leave and need to be superseded by a new
default contact.

So, how can one maintain bi-directional referential integrity in this
situation?