[AccessD] compacting from code - improper error message instructions

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sun Apr 13 17:12:44 CDT 2014

 Well you've never been able to compact an open DB, and that rule still
applies.

  The trick here is that because it's MSACCESS.EXE that is doing the C&R
rather than VBA, the DB can be closed, C&R run, and then re-opened.  That's
what's going on when you choose it from the file menu.

  But when doing it from code, you can't close the DB because VBA code is
currently executing.

  Also note that a compact and repair from DAO is not the same either as it
doesn't take into account Access objects, but simply data.   JET doesn't
know about Access objects.

Jim.