[AccessD] Most common problems/situations

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 11:52:13 CDT 2014

Data sourcing and validation of pre-entered data
Client-owner level authority to access the data, talk to the providers, reject
bad data
Legal authority to do the above, and to take data (or even the specifications)
off the clients registered site(s)
Backup and recovery
Audit trail
Creation of Test environment, UAT environment live environment
Maintenance of environments - stability and consistency across the environments
Links to external environments - such as client PC's laptops
New OS's, fixes, new DLL's new Access versions and even touchscreen, mouse, and
window resolution
Fonts  Client-end printers
Ah! Yea - a couple of real goodies
Client not having appropriate, or even any contracts with other parties
associated with the data, or planned facilities

Cloud usage - country of data storage, ownership of the storage facilities,
backup, ISP regulations,
And appropriate guarantees of the clients (and developers) access to, and usage
of those facilities, and all the above.

I came across a project where the client had not got a contract with developers
of the feed systems or the accounts package they had bought in.
And - no agreement was included in the contract for that accounts package for
the client to have any  'ownership' of  their copy or have it modified to
conform to the requirements of the countries it was to be operated in, or under
the applicable laws.
Also no maintenance agreement for use on other than the system as-is that it was
to be initially installed on.

No - you cannot use the application on the system if you upgrade the hardware,
now drives,  memory, comms, or even apply fixes to the OS.
No - we will not 'maintain' the system to run on upgraded OS's
No - you may not 'maintain' the system to run on upgraded OS's
Alright - perhaps we will do changes you need for legal compliance - we'll do
that as an on-cost price to be negotiated once we have been paid to do the
changes analysis.

 JimB