[AccessD] Normalization discussion

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 13:22:26 CDT 2014

Decide if the data can be assembled in 1 common table with some fields not
entered, or set to specific values  "N/A" or 1/1/1900
Or do you need different tables for the different sources ?
As in confiscated from another institution and they have the breeding records
from the institution they got it from -
 2 sets that give different information, maybe genetic modified combination of
genes with 3 parents!
(Yes - devilish view in'tnit)

Then will you have 1 or more than 1 of each of those entries for each animal?

Those entries will have a FK to point to the animal id (PK on the animal table)
You then have to decide if there is to only be 1 of each kind of entry than you
can have foreign keys in the primary Animal id record so they can be selected on
the basis of the fk existing, or not
Or if you will need to include a SQL (whatever) search for entries in those
notes tables that are associated with the Animil id entry

So you can have keys in each level pointing to the other entry, or just have all
with the PK of the animal record and go looking for them