[AccessD] Normalization discussion

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:36:57 CDT 2014

No, it can't. It can derive from here, by actual birth at our center. Or,
we can acquire it from another institution. When an animal is born here, we
will know its parents. When we acquire it from another institution, we
won't. I'm just identifying how we acquired the animal -- where it came
from, how it came to be here.

So, at this point, what I have follows:

A table of individual animals identifying them by the name they go by here,
species, and a few other fields. I'm also identifying each animal with an
acquisition type.

I have an acquisitionbirth table that includes the individual as a foreign
key. I'll include the dam and sire ids as well.
I have an acqsitioninstitution table that includes the individual and
institution as a foreign key. There is a second table for institution
information -- address, phone, and all that.

This seems to make sense to me -- but I haven't tried to work with it yet.
I'm not sure the acquisition type is actually needed -- but I need someway
for the users to id the acquisition, so the app knows what forms to supply
for data entry purposes.

Susan H.