[AccessD] Normalization discussion

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 14:41:21 CDT 2014

So the database is going to be relatively small so you probably don't need to
consider normalisation

To my thinking it's pretty much as Rocky posted - practicality!

Avoid having null fields, use minimum, or maximum values as meaning no entry and
boolean (True/False) probably take 2, or 4 bytes where a simple string "Y" or
"N"  value is only 1 char and more understandable.
Avoid requiring any auto-sequencing to be strictly ascending
Create the main entry with a form, then allow that entry to be selected from the
database to create the associated detail
Also consider timestamps if you need auditing or just ordering of the data
entries.

Just  keep the reporting options open to allow multiple entries of subsidiary
entries.
And - test the reporting as you go along with the design.

And don't forget the backup and recovery planning -
How are you going to record what happens throughout the days data processing in
order to do a recovery from the previous evening's off-site backup.

JimB