[AccessD] unbound controls and error message about record having been saved

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 14:10:41 CST 2014

Sorry, a FORM full of unbound controls.

From: Bill Benson [mailto:bensonforums at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:10 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: unbound controls and error message about record having been saved

I have a control full of unbound controls. After updating a record (I will
explain how in a second), thereafter whenever I seek to change one of those
controls I get a message saying

                The data has been changed

                Another user has edited this record and saved the changes

                Before you attempted to save your changes.

                Re-edit the record

Now the way I am updating the record is through the DAO
CurrentDb.Execute(strSQL) statement. I combine all my control values into a
SQL string and execute that. At this point I do not get any alerts.

I could see that if my control(s) were bound, and/or I was actually leaving
a record - causing Access to think about whether or not to save a record -
that I might get the above message upon editing a control. However, I can't
see why the record cares what I do with an unbound control after a Save has
been made.

I have tested Me.Dirty in the BeforeUpdate of the control - which occurs
well ahead of that alert - and the result is false.

I get this alert just before I edit any unbound control, and it just causes
a brief interruption after which point I am free to edit the record.

Am I supposed to do something in addition to running the update query that
will cause this problem to desist? I have tried also running

Any ideas welcome and appreciated.