[AccessD] Alpha Proficiency Package

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 15:37:32 CST 2014

Only one is fully deployed (for a non-profit housing organization, to
manage its list of volunteers, their assignments and their hours), and I
wrote it for the cause not for money. I'm currently in early development of
another, also a volunteer project, whose principal platform will be smart
phone, with occasional tablets, and a web server behind the scenes. This
one will be for canvassers for a political party (I don't know what the
equivalent term is outside Canada, but here a canvasser is a volunteer who
knocks on doors on behalf of the candidate, asking such questions as "Would
you like a sign for your lawn or window?", "Do you need a ride to the
polling station on Election Day?", etc. These answers will go from the
phones/tablets to the web server, where they will result in lists for the
sign crew, etc.

>From the viewpoint of an Access developer, the most difficult thing to
appreciate is how little code you have to write compared to Access. There
are dozens of wizards (called Genies in Alpha) and you accomplish a large
amount of the work by filling in  properties rather than hand-writing code.
There are also forms called Grids, so named because originally they started
out looking much like Access datasheets. But now there are so many types of
Grids that the name is a tad silly.

Besides all that, AA supports JavaScript, HTML5, CSS and its own
programming language, called XBasic, which is similar to VBA but truly
object-oriented, if that matters to you.

HTH,
Arthur

--
Arthur