[AccessD] Ramblings of a nutcase

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 16:00:26 CST 2014

I just don't get it.  You can't hover (yet) with a touch screen, although Samsung is bringing that
to Android.  Hovering is an enormously useful tool (to me).  It is integral to how I use the
computer.  My notebook has a touchscreen.  Even when I used it (without the external monitor) I
didn't use the touchscreen much because the constant crap on the screen annoys me.  My daughter does
though.  And I clean the screen whenever she leaves.  So even when I used just the built-in screen I
used a mouse.  There are in fact useful actions (pinch zoom) that cannot be done with a mouse but
when I am doing "real work" I never use those anyway.

Arthur claims that the desktop is dead but I just finished a contract at IBM where thousands of
people use desktops.  They are NEVER going to do database entry using a tablet.  Maybe someday
(perhaps even soon) voice will be accurate enough, but for the moment, entering data into a
database, typing into a document, entering data into a spreadsheet, all of those "business"
activities just do not map well to touch.  You absolutely need a keyboard, and (for these
activities) a mouse is easier than touch.

I have a smart phone, I love it.  I have an Adroid tablet, I love it.  Voice entry on the cell works
well, though not perfectly.  I will say something and when it gets it wrong, it does so again and
again.  Frustrating.  Now... trying to get the insertion pointer into the right place on that small
screen with my huge finger is equally frustrating.

My tablet I use all the time for browsing the internet.  I would NEVER wanrt to enter data into work
apps using today's tablet technology.  Sure the meter maid and the Fed Ex driver carry them but the
DATA was entered somewhere else using a... desktop computer!!!  99.999% of it with a keyboard and
mouse.  Perhaps with the aid of a bar code scanner.  Perhaps with a small "handheld computer" with a
dedicated keyboard for entering a few characters (quantity?).  I think Arthur is wanting the future
so bad he is seeing it behind every bush.  He isn't noticing the dog peeing on his leg as he peers
into the bush.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 2/26/2014 4:40 PM, Gustav Brock wrote:
> Hi Hans
>
> Thanks. You really make me feel ahead of the crowd. Perhaps I just am better than most to find and appreciate the new opportunities rather than sticking to the past. It is claimed that positive people will live longer than those spending a lot of energy being negative. Fingers crossed.
>
> As of today, no one has argued that the old desktop is preferable for a touch screen. It was a dead end. Something had to be done. The brilliant thing is, that the Metro/Modern interface potentially can scale from a wristwatch or a lightswitch to a laserbeam operated cinemascreen.
>
> /gustav

---