[AccessD] Ramblings of a nutcase

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 04:12:51 CST 2014

I guess what I missed is what Windows OS has to do with a watch?  I mean think about it for a
moment. Windows is about running Word, or Firefox or any other APPLICATION.  Windows in NOT AN
application, it is an OS used to provide a context for applications to run in.  I have watched a
dozen smart watches come and go, mostly go.  They go because the physical constraints don't work.
Yea, yea, James bond aside...

Someday, maybe, when the watch display is Hidef TV in a 1" square, and voice command absolutely
unequivocally works, and the internet covers everywhere you want to be, then the watch may very well
become a useful little widget for something other than telling time and listening to your heart.
Until then, telling time and listening to your heart do NOT require Windows 8.1 (in any form). And
until then, anything that you can do in Windows 8.1 isn't going to map to a watch.

I went to the store last night.  As I pulled into the parking lot I said to my self "self, let's
order some sushi from the local sushi joint".  I whipped out my PHONE (Samsung S3), which has a huge
display, Google Maps, navigation and a connection to the internet via the local cell system.  NOTICE
this is NOT a tiny little watch.  I tried to find the sushi place so I could call it.  All
completely run of the mill.  Except that it didn't work. The search went out to lunch and never came
back.  I sat there in the cab of my truck dicking around for about 5 minutes and finally gave up.
Now you tell me, is any watch going to do this?  I had an entire computer in my hand, a thousand
times more powerful in every way than what ran the company I worked for in 1985... and gave up in
disgust.  I will admit that I have done that a hundred times successfully, but on a monster smart
phone, NOT a watch.

 From over here, you appear to be desperate to justify the Windows 8 experience.  If I am having the
time of my life with some gorgeous babe, I have absolutely no need to "justify the experience".
Except to my wife of course, but you get my point. If Windows 8 was anything close to a pleasant
experience for even a simple majority of the public, why in the world is that simple majority (and I
doubt that!!!) trying so desperately to justify it?

I get that you and Charlotte love it, but that doesn't make it "the time of my life".  And from my
read, where the articles aren't pretty much blatant Microsoft advertising, not many of the major
reviewers much like it either.

I bought one of the first Hyundais.  It was a truly sucky, and short lived car (they later got
better).  Having plunked down the money, I "grew to love it".  Yea right.  Looking back on it, it
was a truly sucky car but there I was "liking it".

Think about that. You can consider yourself "ahead of the times" if you want.  I consider you
delusional at best.  I spent two minths trying to make it work and every time I wanted to get any
real work done I switched to a Windows 7 computer.

NOT a gorgeous babe!

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 2/27/2014 3:48 AM, Gustav Brock wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Well, that demonstrates what I mentioned earlier. If you meet a challenge with "this will not work", it most likely won't.
>
> Use your imagination and focus on the possibilities rather than some bad implementation.
>
> Four tiles on a wristwatch could be two small for message/phone access or other info, one wide for the time. Swipe and you will have other options.
> Two tiles on a lightswitch could be one for switching on/off, one for a spinner to select the light level. Swipe for options like setting max. light level or delayed dimming. Whatever. If a given setup doesn't fit your purpose, swipe for the settings and adjust.
>
> Just off my head.
>
> So yes, you missed it.
>
> /gustav

---