[AccessD] VirtualBox

Doug Murphy dw-murphy at cox.net
Thu Jan 23 16:37:16 CST 2014

I use VM Ware and it has greatly simplified life. Only one development
machine with many VMs for various versions of Office, SQL Server, etc. I am
no network expert but have been able to network my VMs to my host machine
and between VMs. Really excellent product that more than paid for itself by
eliminating the need for additional machines or using drive drawers like I
did for a while to test applications on various versions of Windows and
Office configurations. Makes client support life easier also, client has an
Access 97 application, just fire up 97 VM and work on it.

I played with Virtual box on my laptop as I didn't want to purchase another
VM Ware license, but as with your experience could never get it to see my
host machine. I ended up using DropBox on the VM to move files around. I did
find that I could use VMWare Player and move a VM file off my development
machine to my laptop and use the VM. Have not tested it extensively but it
appeared to work. You need a big usb drive to move the VM though, the files
are large.

Doug