[AccessD] VirtualBox

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 24 15:37:02 CST 2014

Hi Brad:

I would hardly rate myself an expert in this but wouldn't the main reasons for using VMWare be to extend the life of the two 2003 Servers? It would make sense to then use a box that would run Hyper-V server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205299.aspx

The price is free and there are a few GUIs that can make the management job easier than just using the command prompt and batch scripts:

http://virtualizationreview.com/articles/2011/03/29/free-free-hyper-v-gui.aspx

A good friend runs a couple dozen virtual drives via his Hyper-V server, as he supports a number of web sites and personal servers...even the DatabaseAdvisors website. (Its core was build on technology developed when Microsoft was working on the OpenSuse Linux project and then it was ported into Hyper-V Server...no it is not Linux but some kind of hybrid.

I would suggest check it out with list members like Gustav and Shamil for a particulars.

Jim